It's always nice to be able to have a friend (best friend, actually) that loves art and is willing to take their time to actually read and learn about it as well.
Today, my mentee and I took advantage of Free Museum Day and it was a much needed creative outlet to just get inspired and get motivated. We made our way to the La Brea Tarpits then to LACMA. We decided to go into Diana Thater's The Sympathetic Imagination first and ... THREE WORDS - SO. MUCH. COLOR ... and I loved it.
*Note for those who plan to go to LACMA for another Free Museum Day - go to the ticket booths towards the back of LACMA (not the ones in the front). The lines from the front were super long going on towards the side walk, but the ticket booth towards the back (where Jesus Rafael Soto's installation of "Noodles" is located) there was literally only one pair in front of us in line.
*Another note! - Go early! When it hit about 1:30pm, the crowds were crazy and I'm glad we got up early!
Anyways, we literally only stayed in one building at LACMA and we were in there for two hours. Umm, did I mention how glad I am to have a friend that appreciates art as much as I do? Thank you, Jacqueline.
After LACMA, we got hungry and I had pupusas for the first time and it was really yummy (other than the fact that my order was given away to another person ... IT WAS GOOD!).
From there we went to CAFAM (Craft and Fold Art Museum) and holy guacamole(!) this is my new favorite place. Once we came in, there were free clay just to make some awesome ceramic pieces and my mentee and I spent an hour just trying to make our "masterpieces" (lol). From there, we made our way inside and to an interactive piece where you contribute your own flower to add in!
The exhibit that was the main focus of CAFAM was called "Made in China" by Keiko Fukazawa and I lovveeeddddd his ceramic pieces and everything about all this work so much. I loved that there was a consistency of flowers and unconventional items he used in this pieces. From recycled bottles, to mangoes, to a piece called "Monsters and Flowers" that was made of rejected pieces of ceramic that "weren't salvageable" but Fukazawa took them and made them into some crazy "monster" ceramic pots and plates.
Then going up stairs, there was an exhibit called "Little Dreams in Glass and Metal" where everything was made in ... YOU GUESSED IT ... glass and metal!
After (what I think to be a very successful Free Museum Day), we made our way to Goodwill, then Sweet Rose Creamery, then some very freaking expensive ceramic store, THEN THEN THEN THEN ...
We went to this really great placed called Rolling Greens which I did not document because ... I was too in shock with the fact that we saw SOPHIA BUSH. And of course, me being the shy person I am, I did not ask for a picture and I'm heartbroken and in full regret. But at the same time, like her, I was going into Rolling Greens with the intention of just coming out with a new plant friend and why would I want to be bothered when doing that? Welp, she's as beautiful in person as she is on television and hopefully I'll get to meet her again someday!
Then I decided to make my way home after a long day which unfortunately turned into a long commute home with multiple accidents on the freeway (prayers to everyone involved) which turned my commute home from 1 hour to 2.5 hours. *ugh* But thank you to my bestie, Maryan, for staying on the phone with me the whole time then some (talking for 5 hours and 30 minutes, holy moly).
But overall, today was a great day and I ended it with doing some freelance work for my boss at Jeffrey Campbell (where I intern) since he is swamped with work and asked if I could help him out!










No comments:
Post a Comment