Washington DC - Day 1 - Monuments !

So I left for Washington DC this morning at 3:30am. With all the hustle and bustle of everyone trying to figure out their canceled flights from Southwest's computer malfunctions yesterday, I was sort of freaking out because I couldn't even print out my boarding pass last night. But this morning, it seemed that everything was good and ready to go, so we headed out!

Got to the airport 2 hours before my boarding time, but I love being early and hate being late so that was very relaxing for me (haha). Anyways, I used those two hours to catch up on reading Norwegian Wood By Haruki Marukami (a book I keep starting over and putting back down because "full time" and "freelance" life has taken over). So far, I don't really know where this book is leading. By page 60 I still don't see what the main character is getting at because I feel like I'm just learning about his life and mannerisms yet I don't see where it's going. Eh, that's just a reason to find out.

The flight went smoothly to my first stop over in Austin. I sat window seat with no one next to me (thank the lord). Watched The Force Awakens for the trips entirety. Landed in Austin where my flight got delayed for 2 hours because of all the computer malfunctions and flight attendants not being at the right places at the right time. Headed out, sat next to this girl from Huston and this guy from Dallas and they were great company.

Honestly, all that mattered was that I was window seat, so the flight went by smoothly.

I arrived and finally saw Demeturie! Yay! We took the Metro to Foggy Bottom then I used Uber for the first time. And my thoughts on Uber ~ wtf, it's so damn convenient ~

When we got to his apartment, I rested while he went to this meeting. From there we headed out for dinner at Sakuramen (eh, I give this place like a 3/10, it was whatever but I was hungry). From there, we headed to the monuments!

The last time I was in Washington DC, I was only 10 years old and I remember specifically going around this time 13 years ago (around my birthday, so ~ full circle~ ). But getting back to that, I was only 10 years old. I didn't appreciate the monuments I was seeing nor do I even recall the experiences or things I've learned at school about the presidents, the White House, World War II. I wanted to see them at night, but I definitely want to see them again during the day so I can take better photos.

Ah, that reminds me - I didn't bring my DSLR for this trip purely because I wanted to travel light. Also, I didn't want to be behind my DSLR the whole time. I just brought my phone (as you can tell by the quality of these photos), my GoPro, and my Polaroid. With my DSLR, I would have spent waaaayyyyy too much time trying to get in a shot and moving on as opposed to actually looking at the sights.


   



    





Overall, today was a great first day well spent and I'm excited to explore a bit by myself tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment