some music

So here's some music that I told myself I'd write about ... but I never did. So here you go!

SURF // DONNIE TRUMPET & THE SOCIAL EXPERIMENT

** UPDATE ** Because I can't believe I forgot to add this, but it's been a favorite for awhile. It's been free on iTunes so if you're interested you should definitely just download it. So I think the thing I love most about this album is that it's just a bunch of artists that came together to make some awesome music and no, not just rapping, there's a couple of great instrumentals and I really appreciate hearing just the instruments that was put into this album. If you love just smooth sounding interesting music, some jazz feel, and some rapping, then this album honestly takes the cake (well for me it does). Download it, it's fucking free. Just do it. Oh and for your lovey dovey's out there, Sunday Candy is on here.

AGAINST THE CURRENT
So if you're into Paramore and just some music to listen to on a drive home that isn't so sad but you can rock to, Against the Current has definitely stolen my heart when my roommate first sent me their album early into Spring quarter. Fueled by Ramen is the same record label that Paramore, Gym Class Heroes, and Panic! At the Disco are under, so if you're into bands, I think Against the Current's music is definitely fun to listen to. And to top it off, I just love girls that rock out to be honest. And I can't believe these kids are younger than me. It kills me how great they are and I hope they go far.


KEHLANI
So let me just say, I've always liked Kehlani. I remember showing people "FWU" back in November 2014 and people hella judged thinking it was a "ghetto song" and it sounded just like early 2000s kind of music because the hype right now is EDM and her music sounded "dated". Then she out of no where blew up and everyone is like "oh man, I love FWU and her whole new album". BUT, pushing that aside, her album is soo great. Other than the exception of one song on the album, I never press skip on this album when it comes up on shuffle. Like what I said about Against the Current, I can't blelieve that Kehlani is younger than me, but I love her old soul and I love her out look on the world because of the things that she's been through. When I get invested in an artist I stalk them and "get to know them" because I love understanding where their music comes from and why they've written the songs they put out into the world. It's nice to know that someone put their souls into the work they do and it's nice and just so therapeutic to know that someone is putting out the words that I can't explain through their music. I think that made sense. But this album goes from loving yourself, to love, to confidence, to just the story of her and I love that.


ALESSIA CARA
So thanks to my mentee for actually showing me Alessia Cara, but holy shit I love her voice. If you haven't heard of her yet, please give her a shot. From her music to even her covers, she got me loving songs I didn't really like at all to be honest (including Bad Blood by Taylor Swift). But she's definitely someone (I think) that will be a big hit. It's definitely her voice that grabbed me from the beginning. It's definitely a mix of a lot of soul, rock, indie, and idk, it's everything I'm into and I love it. I definitely need to give her album a shot once it comes out, but her covers so far and her single "Here" are definitely a favorite at the moment. Like those above, she is a young one and I'm super impressed by her. I'm just hoping her album is fireeeeeee.
MIA WRAY
So Mia Wray is a YouTuber and if you haven't heard of her please go subscribe to her NOW!!!  If you love Daniela Andrade (because I fucking love her and she's definitely my #1 favorite on YouTube), you'll love Mia Wray. The first cover I've ever heard from her was Accidentally in Love by Counting Crows and if you knew me at all as a kid, I fell in love with that song when I heard it on Shrek. So hearing it by a girl an hearing her rendition was so great.  Her music and covers are definitely the kind of music that I gravitate to when I'm alone and just need to relax. It's the sort of music that you listen to when you're driving home late at night when no one is on the road and you're just kind of just at ease or late at night to just keep me relaxed.  It's also really great study music, music to have in the background for reading, and honest just great "coffee shop" music.

LEROY SANCHEZ
So obviously almost everyone who watches YouTube covers know who this guy is, but I've strayed away from him for awhile. BUT I'm obviously back, haha. Honestly. This guy's covers are amazing and just like Alessia Cara, he got me loving covers of songs that I absolutely just never thought I'd like because of how much the original artists (or let's just blame the record label) embellishes the song with all these crazy upbeat shit that the lyrics get covered. I'm a big fan of lyrics and he brings them out for me. I listen to the songs more and appreciate the songs more that I can actually hear the emotion that the song probably was intended to have in the beginning ... but because of the radio and what record labels think will sell better, it's changed and covered with "shit" haha. 


~ FOR THE RECORD PLAYER ~
So thanks to Derek for giving me a record player because it's so nice to hear music on it because it sounds so raw. Before I get into the vinyls that I've loved so far, I think it's so important to buy vinyls that you truly love or know that you will love. But here are the two vinyls that I have so far that I absolutely love so far. It's not that I don't love the other albums I have, but these just sounds so great.








So music to me right now, I'm everywhere and there's obviously definitely a lot songs and artists out there at the moment that I'm into, but these just stick out right now. Sometimes I feel like I'm not in tune with all the new music out there (especially EDM because I'm still not into that shit haha). 

No comments:

Post a Comment